Monday, November 18, 2013

MY HEAVEN... DRY TOOLING!!


Having winter right at our heels fills me with a mixture of feelings. Fear, excitement, and adventure are all very prominent in my mind with each snow advisory. Yeah, I might be missing a few marbles in the old noggin... I truly love the cold, I love the sharp pain of being cold. The sound of crampons scratching on rock is Mozart to my ears. Mostly, I know I will be shut down and scared many times dry tooling this season and secretly I dig that idea. 

 

I told myself that if I was going to write a blog about climbing, it would be about the ebb and flow of my experiences – something other climbers can relate to. And as we all know, there is definitely a huge separation between good days and bad days.

 

But I try to approach every new climb with an open mind. I can typically look at a line and be able to tell if it's going to be something that stumps me the second I leave the ground, or if I'm I going to be able to on-site it. 


When I hear others talk about routes, I’m always listening closely for my favorite words: "It's impossible!" Within a few days I will be standing at said impossible route sussing it out. Playing the sequence out in my mind. Wondering, and feeling nervous that this just might be it. This could be the one that shuts me down. 


I have faced two routes in my career that one hundred percent took me down. I often wonder if it's at that point that others pack up and run for the hills. To me, being shut down is a huge smack in the face, and man do I love a good challenge.


My worst shutdown happened during a free solo. I accidently went off my predetermined line by a few feet into a section of unclean, extremely thin flakes of limestone. I stood on those tiny exfoliating pieces of rock for what seemed like a month. I was truly petrified and was unable to finish the solo. I cursed myself out the entire time I down-climbed. But, a few weeks later, hell bent on finishing, I went back and purposely climbed in the bad section just to prove to myself it could be done. I guess for me, I don't like the idea that fear can stop me from doing the things I love. So I work very hard at controlling it.


Back to those winter adventures. While some might be getting ready to hibernate for the season, or climb indoors, I’m excited for what nature has in store. I hope with the help of a few cameras I’ll be able to take you all on some amazing adventures to remote places and show you some breathtaking dry tooling lines, perhaps a solo or two in the desert – and who knows, maybe inspire you to join me!

Stay psyched,
Nathan Williamson.
Trango Athlete 

www.trango.com

The photo: Trango Raptor.

www.trango.com/ice_gear





No comments:

Post a Comment